Volunteering for VBS
Volunteering for VBS
You bring valuable help to VBS! Volunteer opportunities exist for all ages, abilities, and schedules. Whether you are available during the VBS week or help with prep work beforehand – we are glad to have your assistance. Below you will find information about all the different ways to help at VBS.
How Does VBS Work?
Elementary children are grouped into mixed-age “crews” of about five children with one adult or teenage Crew Leader. Preschool children are grouped into their own preschool crews with an adult Crew Leader. Each morning, VBS starts with
Positions Working with Kids
- Elementary Adult Leader (NO PREP NEEDED)- Guide four Middle School and High School Crew Leaders as they lead mixed-age elementary crews from station to station, helping them engage with the stations and with each other.
- Elementary Crew Leader – Guide a mixed-age group of about five-eight children from station to station, helping them engage with the stations and with each other.
- Elementary Stations: Bible Adventures, Crafts, Games,
Kid VidCinema, and Snack Helpers – Lead a single station. Prep only about 20 minutes of daily work, which gets repeated throughout the morning as different kids rotate to your station. Guides and materials provided.
- Preschool Crew Leader – Guide a preschool-age group of five or fewer children from station to station, helping them engage with the stations and with each other.
- Preschool Stations: Bible Adventures, Crafts, Games – Lead a single station within the preschool area. Prep only about 20 minutes of daily work, which gets repeated throughout the morning as different kids rotate to your station. Guides and materials provided.
- Preschool Homeroom Leader (NO PREP NEEDED) – Be the lead person in one of the preschool homerooms. Assist crew leaders in signing preschoolers in and out, and help crew leaders keep their kids together and move from station to station.
- Music Helpers – Help the music team lead children in song.
- Nurse – oversee First Aid Station.
- Nursery Attendants – Watch the children of our volunteers who are too young to participate in the program.
- Photographers / Spotlight VBS – Take pictures of children participating in different activities and stations throughout the week. Share pictures in slideshow presentations on the screen in the Sanctuary.
- Special Needs Helpers – This important role assists children who need a little extra help throughout the week.
- Floaters – Be assigned to an open position that occurs on that day or buddy up with a kid who needs some extra love and attention.
- Decorations Team– Use your creative abilities in the weeks prior to VBS to create and/or set up decorations for the sanctuary, narthex, hallways, and entrance. On the Saturday prior to VBS, many extra volunteers will help the Decorations Team post crew signs and room signage, decorate station rooms under the direction of station leaders, and set up decorations in all main areas of the church.
- Set Construction Team– Work with Decorations Team by building complex decorations, designing/building the "Set" which is in the front of the sanctuary, may include wood-working/etc.
- Open/Close Props & Extras– Work with Open/Close leaders to choose and secure/purchase props that complement the script for the opening and closing messages each day of VBS. This team does the procurement work before VBS, but can also join in the opening and closing messages as "extras" if your schedule permits.
- VBS Supplies Collection & Purchasing Team –This pre-event volunteer team helps manage all the supplies needed for VBS. They will help sort donations that come from the congregation as well as purchase other supplies as needed.
- Sorting T-Shirts and CDs into Family Bags – Prework before VBS week. Assemble family bags with t-shirts,
cds, and other information as needed.
- Registration Helpers – During VBS, welcome pre-registered participants/families, hand out family bags, sign up walk-ins, etc.
- Volunteer Check-in – Help check-in and distribute information to volunteers each morning.
- Crew Leader Helpers – Put out materials in the morning, help crew leaders between 8 and 8:30 to pick up any materials they need and find their spots in pews, make copies, run, etc.
- Mission Team--Help Mission Leader with Outreach project, collecting/organizing monetary donations throughout the week
- Soundboard – Work the soundboard during VBS opening and closing each day. Requires prior knowledge/experience running the soundboard at Webster Gardens.
- Screen Operator – Are you handy with technological things? Help troubleshoot any issues we have and run Spotlight Video from balcony booth during closing.