Webster Garden's Past to Present
On September 30, 1947, 19 people firmly dedicated to the Lord met at the home of Dr. and Mrs. Theodore H. Hanser. Their desire was clear—to start a new congregation in southern Webster Groves for the purpose of reaching the community with the gospel of Jesus Christ. A door-to-door survey of the surrounding community was conducted early in 1948 under the direction of Concordia Lutheran Church in Kirkwood and with the help of students from Concordia Seminary. Encouraged by the results of that survey and the possibility for growth, the first worship service was held on April 11, 1948, in the auditorium of (then) Grant School at Grant and Watson Roads. The Rev. Martin C. Schaefer, who was in charge of missions in the Western District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, was the preacher.